Design Project Manager II – Houston
Are you a design engineer looking for an opportunity to work with a collaborative, talented, passionate team where initiative is rewarded? Alan Plummer Associates, Inc., an Environmental Engineering consulting firm celebrating its 37th anniversary, not only fits that bill, but offers far more.
We are seeking a Design Project Manager II to support existing and future work in the water and wastewater utility markets. The candidate must be self-motivated with exceptional time management skills and a mastery of engineering fundamentals related to wastewater and water treatment plant design, municipal water and wastewater system planning, pump station and utility pipeline design. This position calls for an experienced, result driven, seller-doer Design Project Manager that is accountable for the assigned project budget and project schedule with the ability to do the design as well as motivate and supervise an engineering project team. This project manager must be able to develop and administer a project management plan that meets the budget, schedule and the contractual agreement with a client. This manager shall be able to plan and hold project meetings with the client while representing the company’s business philosophy. The position has an engineering sales goal that is expected to be met therefore the candidate should be able to demonstrate some business development skills and to establish working relationship with clients. The candidate shall show participation in engineering organizations or societies related to water or wastewater.
- Project Management as both a doer of work and a seller of work.
- Performs project management of projects, including client coordination, team coordination and project control (e.g. schedule, budget, design, quality, profitability)
- Executes and delivers various engineering projects on time, on budget and to the performance expectations of the client
- Works with Senior Managers in developing scopes of work and budgets for various projects
- Receives project assignments from the group leaders
- Participates in preparing proposals
- May participate in presentations to clients
- Participates in preparation of contractual agreement with client
- Understands the requirements of the contract with the client
- Participates in selection of a project team
- Assigns projects tasks, budgets, and schedule to team members
- Answers questions and gives daily guidance to team
- Responsible for the accuracy and quality of all technical work
- Monitors project tasks to maintain budget, schedule and scope of work
- Requests and obtains approval before performing services outside scope of work
- Reviews invoices before distribution to client
- Assists in collection of past‐due accounts receivable
- Recognizes problems quickly and seeks advice from the group leaders
- Develops technical competence of project team members
- Responsible for written work submitted to the client
- Maintains contact with client during the project and after project completion
- Promotes use of and participates in the development of company design and production standards
- Maintains neat and orderly work area which will allow access to project information to other team members
- Performs certain business development activities
- Participates and is active in industry organizations
- Solid understanding of the engineering fundamentals related to water and wastewater engineering, pump design, hydraulics and modeling
- Strong communication skills specifically related to writing and presentations
Collaborative, discerning individual; Excellent time management skills; Able to follow-up effectively; Excellent verbal and written communication and presentation skills; Fits in company culture of integrity, kindness, service and excellence.
While this position has no direct reports, it may function as a mentor to junior-level engineers and project professionals.
Position Type/Expected Work Hours
This is a Full-Time, regular position that is classified as Exempt.
This position is expected to require travel about 10% of the time, including extended overnight stays.
- BS in Civil or Environmental Engineering or related field from an ABET accredited university
- 10+ years total professional experience in the field, including 6-8 years full-time work experience as a project manager for water utility design projects including but not limited to water and wastewater plant work, conveyance, pump and lift stations and sanitary sewer rehabilitation.
- PMP certification preferred
- Master’s Degree in Civil or Environmental Engineering or related field from an ABET accredited university preferred
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
- Must be a licensed PE in the state of Texas
- Must have a current, valid Driver’s License
Work Authorization/Security Clearance Must be able to legally work in the United States without sponsorship
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Ready, set go! Click here to apply